The Litija Sitarjevec mine is one of the richest mineral deposits in Europe and in the world. Descend like miners into the mysterious depths of the mine and stroll through a muddy tunnel among more than 60 species of colorful minerals and the fastest growing stalactites in the world.
Discover the unique wealth of nature that has driven lithium miners to work in the tunnels under the Sava River for centuries.
Course of the program:
• Possibility of a 30-minute walk through the former mining town of Litija to the Sitarjevec Mine;
• in the Sitarjevec Litija Mine, get to know its exceptional geological features and listen to the stories of hard work and the brave hearts of former miners;
• An unforgettable experience in tasting Sitarjevska mal’ca in the mine hall
Experience the former mining town of Litija in its most authentic image by entering the Sitarjevec Litija Mine, where you are embraced by the cold and high moisture content that accompanied the Litija miners at work every day. Accompanied by a guide, you descend into the mysterious depths of the mine, into the Main Trench, which is arranged as a modern underground museum, and into the Main Trench, through which water and limonite mud flow. The light in this dark part of the mine, like the former miners, is provided only by a headlamp. Capture stunning views of colorful minerals and incredibly fast-growing limonite stalactites in a thin beam of light, a world-class geological feature.
Enjoy the tastes of Sitarjevska mal’ca, which consists of simple ingredients that were once brought for lunch by miners from home. In the mine you will be served a modern version.
At the end, visit the boutique shop in the reception of the mine and choose a local product that will remind you of the adventure in the Sitarjevec Litija Mine.
When to visit: all year round, in all weather conditions
Duration: 3 hours
Appropriate for: children and adults over 10 years / Number of participants: at least 2
Distance from Ljubljana: 37 km (40 min)
Starting point: Sitarjevec mine Litija, Sitarjevška cesta 46, Litija (N 46°03’00.0″,E 14°49’51.2″)
Reccomendations: warm, appropriate clothes and footwear for visiting the mine (10°C, 100 % dampness)
Entrance fee: 50,00 EUR / person (2-3 persons), 30,00 EUR (4-8 persons)
How to reach us?
By car: Litija is easily accessible by various roads from Ljubljana, Zasavje and Lower Carniola. Enter the address of the mine in your navigation system and let the adventure begin.
By public transport: Litija is most easily accessible by train (https://www.slo-zeleznice.si/sl/potniki/vozni-redi). Such a trip is always a very special experience for children. The train ride from Ljubljana takes a good half an hour, just the same amount of time you need to walk through the city to reach the mine. At the train station, turn left and cross the bridge over the Sava River. At the church of St. Nicholas, turn onto the walkway, which runs slightly upward along the Sitarjevec hill. At the crossroads at the cemetery, keep right (signpost). Follow the road at the edge of the forest until you reach the last signpost. After another 250 m you will arrive to the plateau in front of the entrance to the mine.
By bike: Litija is also suitable cycling enthusiasts. Load the bike on a car or train. You can upgrade the trip to the mine by visiting the surroundings of Litija or choose a flat road to cycle back to Ljubljana along the Sava River, passing Kresnice.
- Visit the Snack bar “Kuhla” if you want to eat the traditional miners’ lunch Sitarjevška mal’ca (crackling cake, bacon in buckwheat dough, apple slice, horseradish and apple mousse, seasonal fruit compote) and škratov šmorn. The mining-related traditional cuisine can also be served in the mine for groups consisting of at least 10 people;
- In Litija, stop at the Tisa Café, Café and snack bar “Pri mostu” or the Tennis club AS with terraces and playgrounds along the Sava River, also accessible for the disabled.
In the vicinity, visit:
• Geoss Adventure Park with seven climbing routes, one of the longest steel descents in Slovenia and forest sensual pampering (14 km),
• Geometric center of Slovenia with a monument and symbols of Slovenia (14 km),
• The charcoal land in Dole pri Litiji with a charcoal trail and a charcoal homestead (26 km),
• City of Bogenšperk (8.4 km).
Information: TIC Litija, Valvazorjev trg 10, 1270 Litija, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, T: +386 59 940 503, M: +386 70 700 484, FB: Visit Litija