Flowering meadows and forest slopes of the Posavje hills are full of herbs and honey plants. People have always helped themselves to medicinal plants, as they believe that there’s a special flower for every disease. Herbal knowledge is carefully nurtured and adapted to modern use.
- Visit the Sitarjevec mine Litija, which is the biggest attraction of Litija’s underground, with over 60 types of colourful minerals and the fastest growing stalactites in the world; listen to the stories of hard work and the brave hearts of former miners, who were often exposed to accidents;
- Stroll around the Bogenšperk Castle with the liege Jurij, who will teach you about old methods of treatment with his vivid imagination and knowledge;
- Socialize with a local herbalist, who talks about the usefulness of individual medicinal plants and entrusts us with many useful tips for everyday life when tasting herbal spreads;
- Enjoy an herbal lunch in the Bogenšperk Castle Tavern;
- Taste the various herbal beers the castle cellar in the company of the liege Jurij.
The lives of the miners who worked in the Sitarjevec mine Litija, were not easy. They overcame daily challenges with brandy to which were added various medicinal herbs, including wormwood. The Sitarjevec mine is one of the largest ore deposits in Slovenia, with more than 60 types of colorful minerals and the fastest growing stalactites in the world. When eating lunch, listen to the stories of hard work and the brave hearts of former miners, who were often exposed to accidents.
The famous polyhistor Johann Weikhard Freiherr von Valvasor, who lived at the nearby Bogenšperk Castle, researched everyday life and the use of herbs. Enjoy the stories of the grumpy master’s servant Jurij, who with his lush imagination and rich knowledge takes you back to the old days and teaches you about the old methods of healing.
A local herbalist, takes care of the return to reality, who picks us up at the castle and takes us to her homestead. Along the way across the meadow and in her herb garden, she talks about the usefulness of individual medicinal plants. While tasting herbal spreads, she entrusts us with many useful tips for everyday life.
When to visit: April – October
Distance from Ljubljana: 40 km
Starting/finishing point: TIC Litija, Valvazorjev trg 10, Litija (N 46°05’63”, E 14°82’82”)
Number of participants: minimum of 10
Appropriate visitation time: on Wednesdays from April to November
Duration: 7 – 8 hours with the possibility for adjustment
Foreign language: English
Recommendations: warm clothes for visiting the mine and walking around.
Price per person: 47.50 EUR (10-19 persons), with English translation 50.00 EUR; 45.50 EUR (20-40), with English translation 47.00 EUR; most suitable for groups of 10-20 persons.
The price includes: guidance and the organization of the programme, entrance fee and snack in the mine, animated guided tour of the Bogenšperk Castle, programme with the herbalist, lunch in the castle pub and the tasting of herbal spreads and herbal beer. The programme is carried out on Wednesdays when there is a sufficient number of applications. Applications are accepted until 12 noon on Monday at email@example.com or 070 700 484. The program can be adjusted to the special requirements of each group.
Information: TIC Litija, Valvazorjev trg 10, 1270 Litija, E: firstname.lastname@example.org, T: +386 59 940 503, M: +386 70 700 484, FB: Visit LitijaRead less